Monday, June 28, 2010

Cake Update!

Here are a few of the most recent cakes I've exercised my "ability" on. I can say - it's gotten a little easier - and I'm getting a lot more comfortable in general. I think once things calm down some (ha!) I'm finally going to try my hand at fondant. Hopefully I don't end up on Cake Wrecks although I am clearly NOT a professional - so I think I'm automatically out of the running!

So, this first one was for one of my employees. She and her long time boyfriend got married back in March - so we threw a little shower at work. This was my debut at work for decorating - and it seemed successful...and most of all - I think she loved it and was really surprised!


This next one was for my dear friend Carrie's shower. Carrie and her sweet husband got married a couple of weeks after Alan and I did, and she was one of my beautiful bridesmaids - and I was honored to be one in her wedding as well. It was so much fun going through all of the wedding planning madness with her...it helped keep me sane! Anyway - her wedding colors were pink and green - so here's what I came up with for her & Chris' shower. Probably one of my favorites I've done!

And finally - this was the cake I made this past weekend to celebrate my dad's birthday/father's day. I think when I was about 8 or 9 (there's some debate as to the actual age) - I painted my dad a t-shirt with a guy in a cowboy hat with a beard made of nachos that said "Nacho Ordinary Guy". So - in honor of his 60th birthday (or 31st 29th birthday as I'm sure he'd prefer me to say) I recreated it in cake form. I was pretty happy with how it turned out...and those were the best tasting jalapenos I've ever had! (I've included a close up of a few of the nachos for your viewing pleasure!!


By the way - my favorite part of this whole cake decorating thing is still enjoying the deliciousness. Have I mentioned I make a MEAN buttercream? :)

No comments: