Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Long Overdue

Whew...

It has been a busy and emotionally draining few days. We got back into town from grandaddy's late Saturday night, and since, I've been thinking "I need to blog..." but just haven't gotten the gumption to sit down & write about what all has happened. But, here we are. So I apologize for being a little late...and for the length of this post.

First, Ned. He made it through Thursday night with continued gradual improvement. Since then, he has remained relatively stable with a few blips in the road with maintaining his heart rate and blood pressure. In general, he seems a little better, but he is still very sick. I think the big upside is that they think they have gotten rid of the MRSA, but he still is having significant lung issues related to the pneumonia and is still having problems with the pulmonary hypertension. So, he still needs our prayers!

On that note, there has been a facebook group established for him called Praying for Ned ("PFN"). Through that group, I think the administrator (a guy from Travis & Betsy's town) will be posting Betsy's updates that she's been putting on Facebook. If you are on Facebook, please join, to show your support and to get updates. I promise, those will be far more accurate and more regular than ones on here will be!

Alan & I did get to spend some time at the hospital with Travis, Betsy & little Ned on Sunday. Ned looked so much better than when we saw him Thursday and Friday. In general, everyone's spirits seem a little lighter...and most importantly, there is an air of hope. I think this whole thing has reminded me the power of hope in any situation. We are going to see them tonight, and I'm anxious to love on them all again soon.

Okay - the other thing happening over the past few days was Grandaddy's funeral. Alan and I ended up going together to Goldsboro, NC after visiting the hospital on Friday. Due to the insane storms across the state, it took us about 5 hours. When we got there, I was immediately a ball of mixed emotions. Needless to say, Thursday had been a roller coaster of a day, between finding out about Grandaddy's passing to the whole Ned situation that happened that afternoon.

It was so nice to pull up go Grandaddy's farm and see all the wonderful, familiar, loving faces waiting on us and to get 20 big ol' hugs within 5 minutes. It was nice to be with a group that knew and loved Grandaddy as well and as much as I did. It was a mixed feeling on Friday as so many of us were gathered munching on the mounds of food that had been delivered to the house since Thursday afternoon. Everyone was happy to be together, but you couldn't help but notice that Grandaddy was missing. I did find myself reflecting on how happy he would have been to have been there on Friday night with all of us together...and then catching myself thinking, "but wait, he is here."

Saturday was the day that we did a combination of the visitation, funeral service and burial. It all happened at Grandaddy's Quaker church in Goldsboro. We got to see him before the closed the casket. He looked like a version of himself...sort of...but I definitely thought they used too much makeup. Mainly because grandaddy didn't have his trademark tanline on his face. You see, as he was a farmer his whole life, and always had on a hat (see picture from Thursday's post), the top of his head from just over his eyebrows back, was always a lot lighter than the rest of his face. On Saturday, he was all the same color...it seemed strange.

Anyway - we stood in a long line of family and for an hour greeted friends, neighbors and mostly folks that considered Grandaddy an adopted family member. Since it was a Quaker service, there was lots of quiet time to reflect on the life of Conard. There was also a time that anyone who felt led could stand and share their thoughts. I was blown away by how many people stood and told stories. A lot were funny...and I loved that. I think they would have continued to go on for a while had we more time to spend together.

After the service, we all traveled via processional to the family cemetery which is just around the corner from my grandaddy's farm. He was instrumental in cleaning it up and getting it back to its former glory. That was where we buried my grandmother in 2002. And that's where we buried grandaddy. Right next to his sweetheart of 54 years.

After the burial, we all traveled back to the church where we ate a huge meal and just spent more time together as a family of folks who loved Conard Massey.

All in all, it was about as good of a day as could be expected. I do feel like it was more a celebration of his life rather than lots of folks being sad. Before Saturday, I knew he was amazing and that lots of people loved him. After Saturday, I realized how much impact he had had on so many people's lives, and what an amazing faith he had. I will miss him terribly, but I think through his death and the celebration of his life, I have been reminded of just how simple your faith can and should be. And, that if you live a good and true life, and make your decisions according to the Bible and God's will...your impact on this world will be undeniable. He was more than a good man. He was a great man. I'm sad to have lost him, but that is outweighed by my absolute honor of having known him and loved him.

Okay - I know that was a lot, but I just felt I needed to get it out. To end on a lighter note, I thought I'd leave you with a few pictures from one of mine & grandaddy's favorite places on earth - his farm at sunset. Enjoy.



Oh...please keep my darling friend Rachel and all of her wonderful boys in your prayers. They are serving the Lord in a foreign country and just had their third little one named Judah yesterday. Praise the Lord!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Emily, I am so happy to hear Ned is slowly getting better. Thank you for sharing about your Grandfather. It reminds me to take time to stop and enjoy ever moment I get while my grandparents are still here.