Thursday, July 9, 2009

Camp Tekoa!

Sorry it's been slightly more than the previously promised week of absence...but there's been some stuff going on this week, which I'll share a little about later. But for now...onto Camp!

It was truly an amazing week at Camp Tekoa. We had 31 special campers - 16 ladies and 15 fellas and almost that many volunteers. It was a week filled with laughter, joy and God's reminders. I was reminded about unconditional love. I was reminded of the massively therapeuatic power of a big ol' hug. I was reminded that God is all around if you are still, quiet and paying attention.


We had quite a few returning campers, but also several new campers. We played mini-golf, watched movies, hiked, swam, played on the zipline, did lots and lots of arts & crafts, danced, sang, praised the Lord and had a great time. Here are a few pictures (check out my Facebook for more of them).

Here's Bob & I at mini-golf. Bob has the best smile (see above!) and does great animal and Wizard of Oz impressions. He makes my heart real happy...especially when he calls me "Em-Lee".

Here's long time camper Cliff. He's competed all across the country in Special Olympics and is one of the most adventureous folks I've ever met. He loves to go on both ziplines at camp and scream "Cowabunga" or "Yabba Dabba Doooo!" while flying through the air. He also gives great hugs!

Here's Alan and I as we were on a paddleboat in the Tekoa lake. Safety first...thus the life jackets! We had a really good time.

Here's me with Ricky (another long time camper). Ricky loves to make faces at me until I make one back - then we both grin! He is quiet a speller and does it every year for Talent Show on Thursday night. He is a special guy who reminds me always to be "happy!"


Here's Scott - someone who had been to Camp before - but not since I've been volunteering. He was a hoot! He loved to make up songs while strumming his special friend, Jeff's, guitar. He also has a deep deep love of Elvis...and brought a whole costume for Talent Show - where he entertained us with "All Shook Up". It was perfect.

I was super excited that Alan came up for a few days of the week to spend time and meet some of these special folks. All the ladies really liked him! Especially one camper, Tammy - who he made a very nice bead bracelet for. I was only a smidge jealous...and Tammy spent the rest of the week telling me what a good husband he was going to be. I'm inclined to agree!

All in all, I definitely returned to Charlotte refreshed and renewed. I'm so thankful for the opportunity to spend time with all of these wonderful folks every year. I'm already looking forward to next year!

No comments: